Article Review: Women's Attitudes to Beauty, Aging, and the Place of Cosmetic Procedures: Insights from the QUEST Observatory
In a study by Ehlinger-Martin et al. (2015), they surveyed 1000 French women between ages 25 and 70, about feelings towards beauty and aging.
Researchers wanted a picture of women's attitudes towards beauty, skin care, aging, the use of anti-aging products, and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures.
What Did They Find?
- 92% of women in the study believe it's possible to age beautifully. (Of course!)
- According to these women, top tips for aging well and maintaining attractive skin included:
- Good diet
- Regular exercise
- Lots of water!
- Regular visits to the hair salon
- Use of skin care products AND sun protection
- Keeping skin moisturized should always be priority #1! It helps create a 'youthful' appearance.
- Many women actually feel younger than their chronological age!
- For younger women, the biggest complaints included signs of tiredness and dark circles around the eyes.
- For older women, biggest complaints included fine lines and wrinkles.
- Many women feel it is necessary to begin using anti-aging skin care in your 30s!
- Although around 50% of women in the study were open to minimally invasive cosmetic procedures, such as chemical peeling, very few women have actually gone through with these procedures.
Source: Ehlinger-Martin, A., Cohen-Letessier, A., Taieb, M., Azoulay, E., du Crest, D. (2015). Women's Attitudes to Beauty, Aging, and the Place of Cosmetic Procedures: Insights from the QUEST Observatory. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 15, 89-94.
Ladies, please share your thoughts! Do you believe starting an anti-aging skin care regimen in your 30's is appropriate? If you would like to start a discussion about this topic, please comment below or head to our forums.